Trainer: John O'Grady
"In essence many mental health and psychological difficulties are fundamentally motivational problems. In health care there is often a basic misunderstanding of motivation. All behaviour is purposeful and therefore all behaviour is driven by motivation. Motivational interviewing is a person-centred directive method for enhancing intrinsic motivation to change by exploring and resolving ambivalence"
To introduce the participants to the concept of motivational interviewing skills.
By the end of the course the participants will be able to:
- Describe the Prochaska and DiClementes Transtheoretical Stages of Change model of lifestyle behaviour change.
- Use the cycle of change model to assess a client’s readiness to change
- Explore the application of MI skills into clinical practice
- Discuss and explore the spirit of Motivational Interviewing
- Understand and apply the process to lifestyle behaviour change.
- Describe how to establish and engage people in 1:1
- Practice developing the use of MI skills by integrating MI theory into practicing skills
- Assist clients in exploring, the importance of a behaviour change and the confidence to achieve it
- Explore and discuss the concept of ambivalence
- Develop a practice plan to keep MI alive in the workplace
- Explore adoption of MI skills into a Recovery Focused Approach
- Develop the skills of reflective practice as a practitioner through the practice experiences within class to transfer into day to day practice
- Develop and transfer methods of reflective practice/peer supervision into the workplace to enhance and develop their skills in Motivational Interviewing
Please note, this is a 2 day course from 9.15 - 4.30 each day.
N.B. For Social Workers this course is worth 54 PiP Professional Credits. These can be claimed via the NISCC website.
- Our funding restrictions are such that this training is only available to those who work/volunteer for a voluntary, charitable, faith or community-based organisation. Please ensure you meet this criteria before applying.
- Lunch will not be provided. You can bring your own lunch or order from Cafe Rojo (beside CiNI)
- If you cannot attend and do not provide notice of at least 2 working days your organisation will be charged a cancellation fee of £20 per trainee.
- Due to the high demand for this training we can only offer a maximum of 2 places per organisation. Please do not apply for more than 2 places.
- Please bring your ticket with you on the day, either printed out, or on your phone/tablet.
- Registration is at 9.15 for a 9.30 course start time.