Trainer: John Hunsdale
This course will enable you to become familiar with the role and responsibilities of the Designated Child Protection Officer and develop competence and confidence in carrying out this role.
Those who have operational responsibility for receiving concerns about the safety and welfare of children and young people, and who make decisions about what action needs to be taken, will find this course invaluable.
This workshop will:
- Develop understanding of the role and responsibilities of a DCPO.
- Increase understanding of the structure and functions of statutory bodies.
- Develop awareness of the complexities of the DCPO role and strategies to deal with them.
- Improve understanding of forms of abuse (physical, emotional, neglect, sexual and exploitation) and risk and vulnerability factors.
- Improve understanding of the complex concepts of need, harm, and significant harm.
- Increase awareness of the legal and rights context underpinning the DCPO role.
- Improve understanding of the Threshold of Needs Matrix.
- Develop understanding of key safeguarding issues from case reviews and research.
- Relate roles and responsibilities to organisation policy and procedures.
- Increase awareness of the challenges of managing confidentiality, information sharing and data protection.
- Develop and improve decision making skills.
- Develop competence in recording and information sharing.
- Explore good practice in use of UNOCINI.
N.B. for Social Workers this course is worth 18 PiP Professional Credits. These can be claimed via the NISCC website.
- Our funding restrictions are such that this training is only available to those who work/volunteer for a voluntary, charitable, faith or community-based organisation. Please ensure you meet this criteria before applying.
- Lunch will not be provided. You can bring your own lunch or order from Cafe Rojo (beside CiNI)
- While this is a free training event, if you cannot attend and do not provide notice of at least 2 working days your organisation will be charged a cancellation fee of £20 per trainee.
- Due to the high demand for this training we can only offer a maximum of 2 places per organisation. Please do not apply for more than 2 places.
- Please bring your ticket with you on the day, either printed out, or on your phone/tablet.
- Registration is at 9.15 for a 9.30 course start