Trainer: Andrea Kearns
Andrea is a quality assured instructor, who has attended the instructor training programme accredited by Public Health Agency.
Please note: this is a 2-day course - Friday 6th September and Friday 13th September, 9:45am - 4:30pm
Mental Health First Aid is a training program that teaches how to help a person developing a mental health problem (including a substance use problem), experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis.
Mental Health First Aid won't teach you how to be a therapist, but you will be able to say you're a Mental Health First Aider.
The MHFA course covers the following:
- What is mental health?
- Suicide, harm and harm to others
- Substance misuse disorders
- Other related factors
You will learn how to:
- Provide information, tools and techniques to promote a person's mental and emotional well-being
- Support a person who might be experiencing mental and emotional distress.
Our trainer provides a very safe learning environment and are trained to support you throughout the course.
Due to some of the sensitive subjects of our courses, including suicide, we limit numbers to 20 people and ask that you do not register to attend if you have recently been bereaved or are unwell within yourself.
We want everyone to feel safe and our instructors can help if people find some bits particularly difficult.
You'll receive a MHFA manual that you can take away with you at the end of the course and also an attendance certificate from MHFA Public Health Agency Northern Ireland to say you are now Mental Health First Aider.
N.B. For social workers this training is worth 36 PiP professional credits. These can be claimed via the NISCC website.
- Our funding restrictions are such that this training is only available to those who work/volunteer for a voluntary, charitable, faith or community-based organisation. Please ensure you meet this criteria before applying.
- Lunch will not be provided. You can bring your own lunch or order from Cafe Rojo (beside CiNI)
- If you cannot attend and do not provide notice of at least 2 working days your organisation will be charged a cancellation fee of £20 per trainee.
- Due to the high demand for this training we can only offer a maximum of 2 places per organisation. Please do not apply for more than 2 places.
- Please bring your ticket with you on the day, either printed out, or on your phone/tablet.
- Registration is at 9.45 for a 10am course start.