Trainer: Ciaran Traynor, Learning and Development Officer
(incorporates the SBNI Virtual Reality and CEOP Thinkuknow resources)
The welfare of children is paramount in the offline and on-line world. Children and young people are increasingly comfortable and confident in the digital world and this world presents great opportunities as well as risks. This workshop takes a balanced approach to on-line child protection. It looks at harm prevention and protection in the on-line world and how we can enable children to be safe, benefit from this world and protect themselves.
This workshop will:
- Raise awareness of the technological context of on-line abuse (social media, “apps”, webcams, gaming, virtual worlds, mobile phones, pornography).
- Increase awareness of on-line risks (grooming, sexting, cyberbullying, digital footprints, sharenting, exploitation, extremism, fraud, blackmail, etc.).
- Improve understanding of children and young people as consumers and creators of content and the associated risks.
- Help participants to recoginise on-line risk factors, vulnerabilities, and child protection issues.
- Raise awareness of roles and responsibilities of self and others, including CEOP.
- Improve knowledge and skills in the development of safety plans and strategies.
- Develop understanding of the legal and policy context.
- Develop awareness of key safeguarding issues from case reviews and research.
- Relate roles and responsibilities to organisation policy and procedures.
- Improve knowledge of, and competence in, reporting concerns.
- Increase awareness of resources and service available to support workers and children and young people.
N.B. For Social Workers this course is worth 18 PiP Professional Credits. These can be claimed via the NISCC website.
- Our funding restrictions are such that this training is only available to those who work/volunteer for a voluntary, charitable, faith or community-based organisation. Please ensure you meet this criteria before applying.
- Lunch will not be provided. You can bring your own lunch or order from Cafe Rojo (beside CiNI)
- While this is a free training event, if you cannot attend and do not provide notice of at least 2 working days your organisation will be charged a cancellation fee of £20 per trainee.
- Due to the high demand for this training we can only offer a maximum of 2 places per organisation. Please do not apply for more than 2 places.
- Please bring your ticket with you on the day, either printed out, or on on your phone/tablet.
- Registration is at 9.15 for a 9.30 course start